Re: [CQ-Contest] Poaching SO2R

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Poaching SO2R
From: Jim Smith <jimsmith@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 16:55:20 -0800
A while back I found a hole on 20 during the morning Eu opening, said QRL? a couple of times, heard no response, and started running Eu. After a few Qs a VE3 (call sign on request) started calling CQ on the frequency. I told him QRL. He said he was here first. I asked how that could be, considering that I'd made a few Qs. He told me that he had to change a piece of coax but now he was back on his frequency. I wasn't impressed, carried on trying to run and so did he. After a while I realized that he was making Eu Qs and I wasn't so I moved.

So, I'm thinking that if he ever needs a VE7 mult he won't be getting it from me. Better yet, work him but don't put him in the log. However, it was a multi-op so I probably shouldn't hold it against the station.

I suppose I should have e-mailed the station licence holder, told him the story, and suggested he have a talk with the op. If I didn't get a suitable response I could then have put him on my, currently empty, black list. Too late now, I don't remember what contest it was. However, every time I hear them on I feel po'd.

I'm not usually a spiteful person but this one really got to me.

I suppose that if my feelings are so easily bruised then I should use logging S/W that will maintain a black list for me :-D

I can see it now, contest starts, lots of folks calling CQ, no answers because everyone is on everyone else's black list. Probably not what we want to encourage.

73 & Merry Xmas

de Jim Smith VE7FO

Art Boyars wrote:

I saw W4PA's reply to AH3C's suggestion on the Web at work this morning. I don't like to use Uncle Sam's e-mail for ham radio, so I did not reply right away. Most of what I wanted to say has been said, but I feel that I have to second some of those opinions.

Remember, first, that I myself do NOT think that SO2R should be a separate class. If you can juggle the two radios, good for you. Nonetheless...

The essence of SO2R is being able to interrupt your run/CQ smoothly enough to grab the QSO on the 2nd radio and get back BEFORE YOU LOSE THE CQ FREQ. Any time you stop CQing -- for any reason -- you risk losing the freq. Yes, the other op's do have to give you "normal" time to listen for replies, but not anything longer than that (somewhat subjective).

What, are we going to tolerate "My bagel fell on the floor; I only stopped to pick it up"? Or, maybe, "I've been here for fifty minutes; I only stopped to go to the bathroom!"

If somebody goes "QRL?" on the CQ freq, and if you are not quick enough to interrupt the other QSO to dump in "Wait" (or .-...) on the CQ freq, then you just lost it. And if you try to force your way back, that's deliberate interference.

So ... Don't drop the bagel! Get a relief tube! Develop your SO2R hardware and skills so that you don't leave an occupiable gap on the CQ freq. And don't take the advantage of extra hardware and operating techniques without accepting the risks. (I challenge you all to enter my new operating class: low power, low dipole, no computer.)

73, Art K3KU