RE: [CQ-Contest] Guinness World Recordsrecognizeshigh-speedtelegraphy ac

To: <mail@fkurz.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] Guinness World Recordsrecognizeshigh-speedtelegraphy achievement
From: <k0luz@topsusa.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 22:43:08 -0500
I very much disagree with the statement that 5 groups are much more
difficult to copy than sending plain text or qso.  As a Navy operator,  it
was fairly simple to type at least 50 wpm (either 5 letter groups or plain
text),  so that takes care of 43 wpm being the maximum anyone can copy and
write down.

As far as 5 letter groups being more difficult,  it exactly the opposite.
With 5 letter groups,  you get a rhythm.  Also with plain text you find
yourself reading the text as you type and anticipating the next letters in a
plain text message.  When the next letter doesn't turn out to be the letter
you anticipated,  it completely throws off your rhythm and you then have to
scramble to catch up with the proper characters.  (A severe case of panic is
incurred when you are copying around 50 wpm).

So give me 5 letter crypto every day.  I even found one time I snoozed off
because of a rough night and when I awoke,  it's was all there!  Don't try
it too often,  it might not work every time.

My two cents with experience to back it up.

73 Red K0LUZ