[CQ-Contest] VE7QH - SK

To: Contest Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] VE7QH - SK
From: Paul Erickson <va7nt@telus.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 08:18:00 -0800
It is with great sadness that I report that Brian Langden - VE7QH is now SK. I first met Brian in '96 when I was going to do my first field day with the North Shore Amateur radio club (VE7NSR). That day marked 60 years to the day since Brian's first Field Day. It was always a joy to hear his excellent cw. Brian had forgotten more about cw than I will ever know. As an ex RAF intelligence officer, he was one of those who could tell he was talking to the correct agent behind enemy lines by their fist. It was also fun to hear him talk about the different accents that different nationalities had . . . on cw. He recounted how he overheard a couple of german fighter pilots talking on the radio, while over the channel, and one of them mentioned a german ship down below them. Soon thereafter, it was headed to the bottom. A dramatic example of how "loose lips sink ships." He was a member of FOC, but was always very patient with those of lesser ability, and was always ready to help a newcomer. For many years he helped provide radio communication for the Victoria - Maui yacht race.

He will be greatly missed.