Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R on a tiny lot

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R on a tiny lot
From: VR2BrettGraham <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 02:28:49 +0000
VE4XT added a very valid point:

I realize this wasn't the original question for this thread, which was,
essentially, about whether SO2R from a small lot is doable. Clearly it is.

But another thread asked about SO2R by someone who felt he had hit a ceiling
in Qs, and that SO2R was the only way around it.

Here's the more important question for SO2R aspirants, IMHO: should I do
SO2R at all...yet?

There are fundamentals of good operating that should be mastered, IMHO,
before SO2R will have any significant advantage. Despite what some who would
propose separate categories for SO2R and SO1R would think, SO2R is not a
substitute for incomplete operating skills.

Someone who is less than perfect with one radio will only be doubly less
than perfect with two. Band changes, timing, antennas, etc. all play much
greater influences than SO2R, especially since SO2R is by no means
"plug-n-play" no matter how much money you can throw at Array Solutions, ICE
or Top Ten Devices.

Or perhaps even more than doubly less-than-perfect with two. I am not very good at it yet still & find the fundamentals are still contributing more to my scores than the second radio, even after contesting for 25+ years now.

The operator's ability is indeed by far the most important factor.

But when one does feel up to it, SO2R doesn't need multiple towers or
anything like that - if I do in an apartment, anyone can.

73, VR2BrettGraham