[CQ-Contest] Good Bye 2 Anglesey GB2ANG active for next 12 days -probabl

To: <twometrecw@yahoogroups.com>, <uk-contest@contesting.com>,<CQ-Contest@Contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Good Bye 2 Anglesey GB2ANG active for next 12 days -probably off topic but possibly of interest
From: "Steve Jones" <steve@rjtraining.fsnet.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 21:41:20 -0000
Hi All
Just had verbal confirmation that the Dragon ARC, Isle of Anglesey,
Wales  have been issued with GB2ANG sp call to mark the end of Anglesey
Islands status as IOTA EU124.  Sadly the Islands status will cease on
1/2/05 after a 5 year battle by the Dragon club with the IOTA Committee
to retain it. Allegedly, the gap between the Island and the Welsh
mainland is 2m short of what it should be to qualify as a separate
island (though maybe with global warming we can challenge the distance
again in a few years time :-).. We look forward to the IOTA Committee
measuring ALL other current iota islands with the same measuring stick
in the near future, to ensure consistency is applied world wide!

So after decades of active use of iota eu124 the islands many amateurs
will all have to sign eu005 (UK Mainland) from 1/2/05.  As a final
protest to this action by the IOTA Committee, we are running this
special call up to the deadline of 0000z 1/2/05. I will also be
boycotting the 2005 IOTA Contest in protest.

Operators from the club will be activating the special call from my home
contest station on the Isle of Anglesey (Ynys Mon) over the next twelve
days, so  look out for GB2ANG (Good Bye 2 Anglesey!) on 2m, 6m, and 10m
- 160m, on ssb and cw, especially evenings and weekends.

QSL will be via buro only to GB2ANG

73

Steve GW0GEI / GB2ANG
On behalf of Dragon ARC and Contest Cymru Group