Re: [CQ-Contest] How frequent to ID? Every QSO? No way!

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] How frequent to ID? Every QSO? No way!
From: Eric Hilding <dx35@hilding.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 21:54:29 -0800
Doug, VE5RA wrote:

> Now look at the above from the view point this time of a station already
> in the pile-up.  You come along and want to bully the other stations
> calling (that's you or me me me at the expense of others).  As one low
> power operator stated not iding every QSO gives the weaker calling
> stations a chance to work the 'DX' in a smaller pile-up.  Bullying your
> way past the weaker stations is sportsmanship? Come on, it exude
> selfishness.  Is it right for you to push past others who have been
> waiting longer than you?

To the best of my knowledge, there are no "first in, first out" rules for pile-ups. The closest thing would be when a DX station is specifically working by call areas.

QRP & Low Power ops get a break in the final scores, NOT in the pile-ups themselves. All the more reason why these ops need be smarter at "out-operating" the "bullies" (as I think you are referring to the High-Power entry class ops).

When I was operating a contest in the Caribbean last year, near the end of the event there was a sizeable pileup where so many loud stations were almost dead zero beat that it was nothing but a pumping mass. I sent QRZ (hoping someone would be smart enough to QSY a bit). Yup...while everyone else stayed put in an unintelligible mess, smart-thinking QRP op Dale, KG5U, went up from the pile sufficiently and stuck out like a sore thumb (even though not as strong as everyone else). Guess who I worked next? Yup. And to his credit, Dale did not sign KG5U/QRP (Thank God).

I actually sat there chuckling at the time and made a mental note to compliment Dale when I got back home. Umh, I was a bit tardy in doing so, but finally did send Dale an email with congrats for his skillful assessment of the situation and sharp operating at the time.

QRP & LP ops take note: The Biblical story of David & Goliath has practical application to contest operating...if one substitutes frequencies for stones :-)

73...

Rick, K6VVA