[CQ-Contest] Re: SO2R Config Mystery Continues

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: SO2R Config Mystery Continues
From: Eric Hilding <dx35@hilding.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 17:39:13 -0800
(Re-Titled)

Tnx again to all who responded. The SO2R Config Mystery has been (partially) solved...at least now knowing one reason why I've been running around in circles here (Tnx to Jim, N3BB & others).

Most of you SO2R folks use FT-1000's which have a separate "Band Data" port in addition to an RS-232 connection. What a piece of configuration cake for the DXD-Band Decoder-Dunestar line up, but not so with Kenwoods ;-( Unless, of course, you have a desktop computer with THREE parallel ports available. This doesn't solve the notebook computer use config nightmare.

In addition to most new notebooks on the market no longer having any parallel, serial or PS/2 ports, it appears "one" PCMCIA card slot instead of two is the new industry "standard" ;-( Otherwise, I might be able ... no, I still couldn't end up with 3 serial ports and 3 parallel ports via PCMCIA without having some serious IRQ conflicts....I don't think.

Not wanting to toss in the towel here yet, a new possibility has come to mind for any guru-computer techies to comment on. I can get a 4-SERIAL port 1/2 size PCI card to slip into a notebook docking station. Is there any way to "creatively" substitute computer serial port connectivity for parallel ports to drive the Band Decoders?

Another question is: could a "Y" connector be used off the Kenwood RS-232 serial ports...one side split off to the computer/software, and the other side somehow interfaced with the Band Decoder...like, via some kind of "Magical Adaptor" involved?

ARRRRGGGHHHH!!!

Tnx & 73...

Rick, K6VVA

Cc: Rich, Ron & Paul (per request)