Re: [CQ-Contest] The battle of the callsigns

To: k7nj@zahav.net.il, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] The battle of the callsigns
From: BobK8IA@aol.com
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 07:37:09 EST

This has been an interesting thread to say the least! I beleive Riki has
touched on some very important issues. I recall the first time I heard EI5HE
come at me under some QRM. I, as a reasonably proficient cw op, was even
stopped
dead in my tracks for a moment. Like "what the heck was THAT?" ;-) ;-).  I
then finished the  qso and said, "that's a cool call.....but maybe not".

Riki's observations re "K" at the end of a call hold strongly true for  me,
unless its some call I recognize from previous contesting etc.

This thread brought back some wonderful memories of 1976 when the FCC  opened
up the 1X2 block to all Extras at the time who wished to switch calls.  The
first of what eventually became "vanity" calls. I can recall sitting at the
local DX club, with others,tossing around what the criteria of our "list of
calls" would be. (You gave the FCC a list of 5 or 10, I think, virtually
assured
you would be assigned one of them since this was the first group of licensees
 allowed to switch). I recall saying, "I want a suffix that has some  decent
rhythm, low baud count but no "E" and doesnt end in a "dit". I  lucked out as
I got my first choice. So did many others then as the 1X2 block  was nearly
unassigned, except for the real OT's.

CU all on CQWW 160 cw test next wekend. Listen close...I am not K7IA, hi.

73, Bob  K8IA
nr The Superstition Mtns
Arizona, USA

http://members.aol.com/bobk8ia/

In a message dated 1/22/05 4:56:28 AM US Mountain Standard Time,