Re: [CQ-Contest] Which Coax Jumpers Reduce SO2R Interference

To: "Ken Widelitz" <widelitz@gte.net>,"Cq-Contest Reflector" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Which Coax Jumpers Reduce SO2R Interference
From: "RCARIELLO" <RCARIELLO@si.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 12:09:25 -0000
Ken,
My gut feeling is the N to PL259 adapters. Any type of connector has some
leakage. With the adapters you have basically doubled the amount of leakage
points.
I am also trying to setup a SO2R station. My goal is to not hear the
transmitting station on the receiving station.
To find the stray RF around my equipment I used an open ended coax line
connected to a receiver as a wand. I was shocked as to how much stray RF was
present. A successful SO2R operation seems to be more difficult to achieve
then a Multi-Multi operation. This due to the many common RF tie points to
the antennas, Amps and even station operating positions. My two FT-1000mp's
hear each other sitting side by side while both receiving. I have not found
what level of leakage to expect from SO-239/PL-259 or N/N connector
combinations.

Posting some questions onto the RFI reflector I received these helpful
comments from Dale WA9ENA (former RF shielding engineer).

Isolation of typical braided shield coax (in the HF range):  70 to 90 dB
(varies with construction and type of braid)

Isolation of hard line:  100 to 120+ dB (except for leakage at connectors)

Isolation of commercial shielding "boxes" or enclosures:  100+ dB, except
for any penetrations

Frankly, the military - both on aircraft and on aircraft carriers - has
about
the same problem:  a lot of high power transmitters and antennas in close
proximity to each other and the need to be able to receive fairly weak
signals among all that racket.

The methods used to achieve that include very well-shielded bandpass
filters, hard line coax (for maximum shielding of each line), and as
reasonable orientation of antennas as possible.  The one thing you have in
common with Uncle Sam is that your antennas are about as packed together as
a lot of his are.

1.  Separate high-Q bandpass filters for each receiver, one filter per
band/part of band.

2.  All interconnects BETWEEN the filters and receivers done using hard
line and nothing but Type-N connectors.  (Use regular coax between the
relays and the filters, and between the relays and the antennas.  Again,
the antenna isolation is the lowest denominator, so put the bucks where
they are needed.)

3.  All switching done with relays having >50 dB isolation at 30 MHz.
(This is solely to make certain that less than 1 watt of RF from the amps
is coupled into any receiver bandpass filter or receiver front end.  One
watt or less is usually a safe value.)

I would be interested in hearing about your progress.
Please keep in touch.
Best of luck.
Rich AA2MF