[CQ-Contest] Sprint Alternatives

To: CQ-Contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Sprint Alternatives
From: PaulKB8N@aol.com
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 10:44:33 EST
I agree with those that say that the Sprint is the best four hours in ham
radio.  I'd like to see more Sprint-styled venues.  Here are a few  suggestions:

High Band Sprint:  Same format as the regular Sprint, but 10, 15 and  20M on
a Sunday afternoon, probably 1800-2200Z.  Depending on the time of  year, it
might be interesting.  While 10M may be fairly dead over the next  few years,
there are sometimes windows of opportunity where the band can be  quite usable.
 My motto is that if you don't have propagation, make  some!

Night Owl Sprint:  0500-0900Z - Same format as regular Sprint, but on  40, 80
and 160M. This would be a fall/winter-only contest.  There should be  good
propagation on all three bands for the duration of the contest, and  far less
QRM than an evening contest.

There are also other possible combinations, 15, 20 and 40m, for example,
that might be workable. In our busy world, short and intense contests may be
the
wave of the future.

73,  Paul, K5AF