[CQ-Contest] Sprint Multipliers

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Sprint Multipliers
From: W2RU - Bud Hippisley <W2RU@frontiernet.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 17:38:23 +0000

Then, at 04:00 2005-02-16, Eric Hilding, K6VVA wrote:

>IMHO, this would make it more like SS.  Judging from the comments I've read,
>folks have already complained about the absence of existing State/Province
>mults being QRV.  I think expanding things to an ARRL Section list would
>compound the existing problem.

I thought I had read at one time that the Sprints were intended to help build
contesting skills.  Copying a non-obvious exchange (such as a person's name)
was specifically cited as good training for copying the CK in the SS exchange.
Similarly, wouldn't practice at listening for and copying section abbreviations
be desirable training/practice for the SS?

Contrary to Rick's opinion, I believe "expanding things to an ARRL Section
list" would _increase_ participation in the Sprints (and in the NAQP if they
were to make the same change).  I, for one, would find far more incentive to
get into either contest than I currently do, and I continue to believe that for
many of us it's far more fun for both the "chased" and the "chasers" to play
with nine California section multipliers (ditto NY, Fla, TX, WA, etc.) than one
state multiplier.

A general comment:  As I told K5TR in a private e-mail a few weeks ago, the
Sprints are, in principle, a great idea (frequent 4 hour contests for us busy
folks to check out antennas and station upgrades and build operator skills
between the major contests), but the continuing lack of participation alluded
to by Rick tells me that there's some structural problems with the Sprints that
are limiting their popularity.   For me, it's a combination of factors,
including the use of states as multipliers instead of sections, a 3-band format
and start time that makes for dead bands for us northerners much of the sunspot
cycle, and a crazy QSY rule that has nothing to do with "real" contests -- I
hardly ever look at my frequency readout while doing S&P in a real contest, so
being artificially forced to figure out whether I've moved 1 kHz or 5 kHz
between QSOs is sheer idiocy, IMHO.

Bud, W2RU