Re: [CQ-Contest] Sprint Multipliers

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Sprint Multipliers
From: Eric Hilding <na178@k6vva.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 23:37:15 -0800
Bud, W2RU wrote:

 > wouldn't practice at listening for and copying section abbreviations
 > be desirable training/practice for the SS?

Yes, but the problem seems to be a basic absence of QRV in some of the
"States" period (as the event stands now).  If you have a brainstorm on how
to generate more activity, share-share-share!

FYI, we had a discussion on the NCCC Reflector right after the CW Sprint as
to how to possibly generate more interest and develop more Sprint
ops.  This was started by Jon, KL2A, who referenced the comments of 1st
time Sprinter WM9R (to whom I sent a personal email:

 > Glad you had fun.  Keep showing up (we all need the extra QSO's :-)
 >
 > Nice to know others are still interested in CW !!!

I also sent an email to Carl, K9LA, who forwarded it on to Tree.  This
suggested a postcard campaign (many emails would get rejected as spam) to
any callsigns in the official log entries for stations who did NOT submit a
log themselves, etc., etc.  According to Tree, apparently in the past some
of the "Top 20" guys voluntarily participated in a postcard mail-out
program to try and generate more participation.  Hmmm...maybe it was for
the NAQP & Sprint (mind-fog at the moment).

It would be very interesting to see how many actual log submissions are
received by "State"... maybe for the last 3 years.  Then, everyone put
their heads together to try and figure out how to beef-up some QRV from
Lost-Multiplier land (poor activity States).  Trivia:  After the SS, one of
the NCCCers decided to refer to Newfoundland as "NOfoundland" :-)   Yet,
others worked several of the guys there.

If you have an all-cosmic plan to get lots of Sprint activity from *every*
ARRL Section, please tell us.  Maybe the Top 20 CW Sprint scorers can all
share their thoughts on whether or not any changes in the rules might help
generate more activity?

I think it's a real thrill as is...but hope to NOT have a headache again in
the next one.

73...

Rick, K6VVA