Re: [CQ-Contest] ham radio is dead? - Or - Operating Night

To: PaulKB8N@aol.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ham radio is dead? - Or - Operating Night
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 12:03:55 -0500
On Feb 18, 2005, at 10:30 AM, PaulKB8N@aol.com wrote:

>  In fact, one
> afternoon ten meters seemed dead, and I  called CQ for about a half
> hour.  Once
> a couple of DX stations called in,  stations seemed to start showing
> up.  I
> don't know if one person can make a  difference, but sometimes it just
> takes a
> spark to start a fire.

I've pulled this trick a couple of times myself. Sometimes I wonder if
we haven't outsmarted ourselves.

Seems like 20 years ago or so, people used to call CQ on "dead" bands
all the time and make contacts.

Today, we're so knowledgeable about propagation, so we don't bother to
even try the "dead" bands -- we go straight to where the action is. So,
we miss out on some of the rare openings.

Maybe we all just need to call CQ more often.

             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901