Re: [CQ-Contest] Does size matter?

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Does size matter?
From: "Mike McCarthy, W1NR" <lists@w1nr.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 18:26:42 -0500
Good points.  My 5 el HyGain 205BA at 110' will generally punch through ANY
pileup with only a handful of calls (usually one is enough).  I have noticed
that it will regularly beat out other stations that I know are running
stacks.  However, they can run better because they have a bigger footprint.
A stack will spread the energy out over a greater area and more angles of
radiation than a single antenna.  One favorite technique I used at one of
the multi's with a stack is to point the top beam at JA and a lower one at
EU when the bands are open both ways.  Stacks also hear better because of
the larger capture area.

I also have a remote tuned inverted V on 80M up at 110'.  Now this will beat
out 4 squares into EU.  But the 4 square will hear better and work JA's that
I can't.

Another thing to factor in with stacks and arrays is that you will loose
energy with the matching networks and additional lengths of coax feeds.  The
greater the number of feed points in the array, the more significant these
losses become.

Mike, W1NR