[CQ-Contest] Praise for Tree (and Dan)

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Praise for Tree (and Dan)
From: "Henderson, Dan N1ND" <dhenderson@arrl.org>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 10:17:15 -0500
As y'all know, I rarely post to the list except for announcements...
But I want to make an exception in this case...

Please, leave the (and Dan) off of this thread.  The bottom line is I am
privileged to be able to work with a group of outstanding volunteers who
spend countless hours working for the betterment of the ARRL Contesting
Program.  I know I am going to foul things up and overlook someone, but
in particular, I'd like to recognize...

It all starts with the Robot and Cabrillo format, and this part of the
system is under the watchful eye of Trey N5KO. His diligent work in this
area has allowed us to automate much of the processes, which means fewer
errors and the ability to get results to participants anywhere from 1-2
months early than we did just 5 years ago.  Using this system also
allows us to do the automated "Logs Received Page" for the ARRL.  The
robot's detailed error messages permits participants to immediately
correct any problems that may be there.  It wasn't simple code to write,
but it has allowed us to drastically reduce basic errors, like wrong
categories or sections.  In most cases these days, if there is an error
in the data, it was an inadvertent error when the participant set up the
file.  Finding problems at the front end of the process makes the final
product higher quality.

Submitting of logs has been made easier because of the work of Bruce,
WA7BNM.  Bruce donated a tremendous amount of time developing the
Web-applet that allows users to log onto a website (that he houses for
us) and input data on-line to generate and submit a Cabrillo-format log.
Bruce has done this for all ARRL-Cabrillo events, as well as Field Day
and many non-ARRL events.  If you haven't checked out Bruce's work, go
to www.b4h.net/cabforms His work may not be noticed by most of the guys
on this list, since most of you generate your own Cabrillo files, but
his work has made it easier for the casual contester to make electronic
submissions.  Not to mention his tremendous work on his Contest
Calendar.

people that do the actual log checking.  This would include Tree, N6TR,
Dave, K8CC, Tim, K9TM, Ken, K1EA, and Larry, N6TW.  As a group these
guys have spent thousands of hours making sure logs are usable (you
can't assume that the log is OK just because it looks like the Cabrillo
format. There are all sorts of small problems that can sneak into the
log - information missing or in the wrong order, truncated logs, etc).
They have spent a huge amount of fiscal and mental capital in writing
code, debugging, re-writing code, debugging again, re-re-writing code...
You get the idea.  And it is a continual process.  As one of the threads
on here recently showed, a small bug exposed itself, and true to form
the log checker involved, found the fix.  Each of these troopers write
their own code and develop their own processes. I do know there is ample
discussion of "what's the best way to do such-and-such" type things
among them, but their programs are self-authored. And when you do
multiple different contests that aren't similar, such as K1EA doing VHF
event checking as well as RTTY and the DX Contest, it gets more
complicated. And it's an ongoing process...

What I truly believe to be the key here at ARRL Headquarters is my
assistant - Kathy Allison, KA1RWY.  We still have thousands of entries
that come in every year the old fashioned way - using pencil and paper.
Kathy does a fantastic job of data entry for these logs - her error rate
is amazingly low.   Add to that the fact that she handles a myriad of
tasks - from mailing cups, pins and certificates to sending hundreds of
emails to people with problems of missing information in their log (such
as Multiop entries that don't include a list of operators, etc). Then
she has the hardest task of all - working day to day with me... She is
truly an unsung heroine of the ARRL contest program.

Other volunteers has stepped forward and handle another wide range of
tasks.  Don't forget the hearty gang that spends their time and energy
developing, updating and maintaining the detailed records for various
ARRL Contests. Ken, WM5R, has just completed a magnificent job on the
ARRL 10-Meter Contest records.  Curt, K9AKS, has a firm handle on the
June VHF QSO Party records. Bob, K3PH, handles the International DX
Contest with great care.  Ken, K5KA, always seems to have updated
November Sweepstakes records to me the moment the current year's results
are posted to the ARRL Web.  Ken also recently picked up handling the
IARU HF World Championship records as well, a tremendous commitment from
him. That task got more complicated with the 2004 addition new
categories in each of the Single Op mode areas.

The end result - the quality articles and write-ups for QST and the ARRL
Web - are the product of an exceptional group of experienced contesters.
The small QST article honorarium they get does not reflect the
outstanding work they do.  Some of the authors have settled into an
annual commitment to help.  Others rotate events with a series of other
participants. In the 2004-2005 cycle of authors includes Rick K1DS, Carl
K9LA, Bill W3IY, Jeff K1TEO, Joel W5ZN, Al W5LUA, Randy K5ZD, Kelly
VE4XT, Ford N0FP, David K4DLJ, Jay WS7I, Jan K5MA, Scott W4PA, and Ward
N0AX.  And I don't want to slight previous authors who have stepped up
and written for us like Mike KH6ND, Ken, K6LA, Gene W3ZZ, Russ K2TXB,
Jeff W2FU, and Mark K2AXX (please forgive me if I have overlooked a
recent author.)  This group brings a wide array of insight and
perspective to their various articles. And they solicit input from a
large group of regional or special interest contributors as well,
another group deserving kudos.

A few extra special word of thanks need to be handed out. The
development of the "Rate Sheet," coupled with his availability to me as
a sounding board gives Ward N0AX a special place in this pantheon.  I
wonder if he knows how much I rely on him?  Having George K5TR around is
like having a personal 911-system.  Something wrong with the robot and
the keeper isn't available? 911 to K5TR!  Need an extra set of eyes to
help proof something or to help figure out what in the data doesn't look
quite right?  CQ to K5TR!

Finally, and not in any way least in this process, are the volunteers
that serve you and their various ARRL Division Directors as members of
the ARRL Contest Advisory Committee.  Their work - most of the time
quietly behind the scenes - helps address a wide range of things.
Whether debating possible rules changes, handling issues brought to them
by constituents or discussing improvements of rules and contest ethics,
your representatives to the CAC are committed to helping make the ARRL
Contest Program a quality product.

So, don't pass the Praise to me... Instead, recognize and thank the
large group of volunteers that make the ARRL Contest Program the quality
program that it is.  Join me in a huge THANK YOU to the volunteers that
are the ARRL Contest program!
73

Dan Henderson, N1ND
ARRL Contest Branch Manager