Re: [CQ-Contest] Real emergencies

To: "'Tom McAlee'" <tom@klient.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Real emergencies
From: "Joe Subich, K4IK" <k4ik@subich.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 15:11:24 -0500

> NI1N writes:
>
> Last time I read the rules, anyone is allowed to use any means
> of radiocommunication at their disposal when life or property
> is at risk and other communication systems are not available.

That allows an amateur to use any means of communications "when
normal means of communications are not available."  However, it
does not permit an amateur to intentionally ignore (fail to own
and/or deploy) normal commercial communications services.  To
use amateur communications as a first line substitute for the
prescribed commercial marine and satellite communications is
simply illegal.

Similarly, 97.403 does not permit a non-amateur to use amateur
facilities - it speaks only to an "amateur station" (defined
97.3(a)).

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK