Re: [CQ-Contest] COMPARING APPLES TO BASKETBALLS - ARRLDX RULES

To: Robert Shohet <kq2m@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] COMPARING APPLES TO BASKETBALLS - ARRLDX RULES
From: James F LaPorta <n1cc@jlaporta.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 14:10:12 -0700 (PDT)
Bob:

You are 99.999% correct!  If KH6 and KL7 are ARRL DX entities, so is VE.  They
should be moved immediately to that status.  Since RAC is no longer a direct
entity of ARRL, and is IARU equal to ARRL that is another precedent.

Come to think of it over the past few years they have really behaved like
another country, which in fact they are.

My vote is absolutely YES! Move VE and their outlying pieces to be the DX that
they are.

If we can't do that --- in other words too many people object, then lets move
KH6, KL7, KP2, KP4, et al back as part of the US and not DX ... its even more
equalilzing, but not as logical as moving VE to DX status.

Since I am not a TOP of the pile these days, I have no agenda ... other than
feeling that it needs to be a level playing field, and it's not today.

73, Jim N1CC

Robert Shohet <kq2m@earthlink.net> wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I am very curious as to the prevailing opinion and wisdom,
(or lack thereof), of counting the VE stations in with the US
stations in the ARRLDX contests.

While some would say that the VE's enjoy an advantage as to
rarity of section vs. the much more common and high density US sections,
I am more concerned with the incredible disparity and
advantage offered as to the usable operating frequencies for the VE's
vs the US stations on SSB in DX contests.

Nowhere was this stunning advantage more apparent than in the year's SSB
ARRLDX Contest, where several thousand stations were cram-packed into the
14.150-14.350 madness with the crusty nets, SSTV'ers and other "services",
while the VE's enjoyed essentially clear run frequencies below 14.150 and
21.200.

For example, VY2ZM spent almost the entire contest BELOW 14.150 and
21.200. If you look at Jeff's great 20 meter score, 2100+ q's!, you can see
how
much that helped. I listened a few times to the huge pileups calling him on
PERFECTLY CLEAR freq. BELOW 14.150 where he spent most of the day.
If you were required to operate above 14.150, like all the US stations, your
day
was hardly as pleasant or score as great, between insane levels of splatter
and assorted
qrm and qrn. Needless to say, US station had that kind of opportunity on 15
or 20.

But that advantage also extends to the ability to work EU DIRECT on 40!,
largely free from BC stations, and also to 80, where, once again, clear(er)
frequencies are available for Canadian use to work EU stations.

Yes, we can work some DX direct on 80, if we can muscle out the other EU and
SA stations, and yes, we can now work some EU direct above 7.150, but that
isn't
the same thing, and it certainly does not make up for the astounding
advantage on
20 and 15 and advantage on 40 and 80.

We are talking about the same kind of operating advantage and disparity here
that
is like comparing Novices to Extra's, except that while you CAN upgrade
to Extra and gain more frequencies, you CAN NOT upgrade further to gain the
Canadian phone bands!

Lest you think this is sour grapes on my part, I can tell you that I
consider Jeff, K1ZM
a good friend and have known him for 30+ years! I have great respect for
his station
building and operating abilities and he has been kind enough to help me out
with
emergency antenna work on several occasions. I am very happy that Jeff has
been
enjoying his great station and can honestly say that he would be silly not
to make use
of every operating advantage afforded him and other VE's under these unfair
and
outdated rules. Right now, with the HUGE disparity in operating
frequencies,
IMO, comparing the contest scores of VE stations and US stations
together in the same category is like comparing Apples to Basketballs!

In summary, I am saying that, IMO opinion, it is high-time to separate the
VE's from
the W's for scoring and awards purposes until such time as we have
reasonably similar
frequencies to operate on. Plus, WE ARE SEPARATE COUNTRIES! and should
be treated as such.

I am very interested to read what other contesters think about this
situation.
I think that it is time to change the rules. What do YOU think?

73
Bob KQ2M