Re: [CQ-Contest] Barking up the wrong ARRL DX tree

To: w4pa@yahoo.com ("Scott R."), cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Barking up the wrong ARRL DX tree
From: W0uo@cs.com
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 12:16:45 -0400
Scott, thanks for at least admitting that geography creates an advantage.
Also, I am thankful that you have made a distinction between rules and score
reporting. My reading of most contest rules does not support the kind of score
reporting done in the contest writeups.  Top ten lists, top five lists or, on
some occasions top two lists, are not provided for in the rules and are, for
the most part, editorial policy.  This kind of policy should change, as, I
believe, many really worthwhile efforts go unrecognized.  The ARRL's regional
lists are an imperfect step in the right direction.  I'd like to see other
contest sponsors adopt and, hopefully improve on, that kind of policy.  I'm
sure many others agree.  Otherwise, the path to recognition means to
subordinate every other part of our lives to that end.  A truly unbalanced set
of priorities.

Jim
W0UO/5