Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL DX Contest Rules W/VE

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL DX Contest Rules W/VE
From: John Warren <nt5c@texas.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 16:44:20 -0500
Ed N1UR wrote:

>Don't constrain the VE's from using their more liberal phone
>privledges (never understood why they can do that in our region

It's because it's not "our" Region. It's IARU Region II, in which
both Canada and the United States happen to be located. And IARU
rules permit U.S. 'Phone operation 7000-7100, just like Canadians.

Keeping 'Phone out of 7000-7040 is a convention, accepted by most
eligible hams, except during major contests. And keeping Lower 48
'Phone out of 7000-7100 is just a local FCC rule arranged by the
ARRL, so that we don't swamp our Canadian brethren (or get the same
chance to work all the luscious 'Phone DX they can).

Example : Have you ever worked 4U1UN split in a 'Phone contest, when
they're transmitting on 7075 from the middle of New York City!

73, John, NT5C.
CQ-Contest mailing list