[CQ-Contest] ARRL Contest Rules and Canada

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] ARRL Contest Rules and Canada
From: <ku8e@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 11:09:22 -0400
   While it's hard to be sympathic to someone on the East Coast griping about a
disadvantage in a
  DX contest I have to agree with KQ2M on his comments 100%....

    No disrespect to my Canadian contesting friends but why does Canada  need
to be considered
  the same as a US state in ARRL sponsored contests.  Canada has their own
radio
  society - the RAC. The ARRL is the organization that represents those of us
in the USA - not Canada.
  The rules and frequency allocations in Canada are different then the US. This
gives them and
  advantage over us in the states.  You have a "huge" advantage if you could
run EU below 14150 and
  in the clear as compared to fighting for the band edge like the big S/O and
M/M US stations do. Don't
  even get me started on 40 meter phone.

     I think Canada should be made a separate country in ARRL sponsored
contests. Have you ever
  worked a NWT, YT, and NU all in the same ARRL contest?? If you have you are
in a small minority.
  You should look at ARRL DX as being similar to contests like the WAE or
All-Asia. The objective is
  for the rest of the world to work the US... like the object for us in WAE is
to work EU.  SS should be
 domestic championship for the US and not include Canada. The support from
Canada is poor to
 begin with anyway.  I think if you would ask your average VE contester and
most of them would
 probably favor these changes....

Jeff, KU8E