Re: [CQ-Contest] Canada versus USA

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Canada versus USA
From: Tom Frenaye <frenaye@direcway.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 17:52:41 -0400
At 05:00 PM 4/8/2005, VE3DZ wrote:

>in Canada a single person may have more than 1 call. Actually, I would say
>every 3rd person having 2-letter suffix also owns a 3-letter call. Moreover,
>we are allowed to have a 3-letter call in every province and I know people
>who have more than 3 calls.
>Just go to Canadian callbook website and do search by last name.
>
>So I would say the number of actual Canadians having HAM licenses is no more
>than 18,000.

I think I was smart enough to deal with that.  I used official figures from the
IARU ( http://www.iaru.org/statsum00.html ) showing the number of Canadian
operators (not stations, not clubs, not secondary callsign holders) - a total
of 44,024 in 2000.   I couldn't find any license count information on the RAC
web site (or elsewhere).

Let me know if you can point to anything more accurate.

             -- Tom