Re: [CQ-Contest] license class and m-m op's

To: "'Rick Dougherty NQ4I'" <nq4i@contesting.com>,"'CQ Contest'" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] license class and m-m op's
From: "Mike McCarthy, W1NR" <lists@w1nr.net>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 09:09:44 -0400

The "control operator" is the person who is in "control" of the operation of
the station AT THE TIME OF TRANSMISSION.  It is NOT the station licensee
unless that person is "in control" of the station.  In a m-m, this normally
means the person sitting at the radio and operating the contest.  If an
extra is sitting beside a general in the extra portion of the band, the
extra class is the "control operator" and the general is third party.  Third
party rules then apply.  The general class cannot be legally "in control" of
the station when operating outside of his/her privileges.  They also cannot
legally contact stations in countries that do not have third party
agreements with the country of the station.

Now what gets grey is this so called "third party" rule.  There have been
conflicting interpretations of this in the past.  In some cases, if you are
"licensed" you are not considered a "third party".  In the case of a
repeater or satellite where a technician class is operating on 2m and the
signal is being repeated on 10m, third party does not apply. My question is
why a tech is considered third party if they are using 10m directly with an
extra standing beside them as the "control operator".

Mike, W1NR