Re: [CQ-Contest] Single versus Dual Lever Paddles

To: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Single versus Dual Lever Paddles
From: "Barry " <w2up@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 22:10:42 -0000
Bill,
I have been doing some QRQ practice over the last month or so for the
upcoming HST.  At first, I was having a terrible time sending numbers
with my dual lever paddle.  I tried a Vibrokey single lever paddle
(thanks to W8FJ for lending it to me), but after a few days, I
decided the dual lever paddle is much better.  The problem with
signle lever paddle is the horizontal back and forth excursion is
just too great for the very high speeds.

Perhaps it would be different with a modern, precision-made single
lever paddle, but I'm not aware of one. I could be wrong, of course.
I've used a Bencher dual lever paddle (won at the last run of the
Dayton CW receiving contest in 1990) for many years.  I recently got
a Begali paddle and the difference is amazing.  The lack of play in
the paddles and the precise spacing adjustments are night and day.

We'll see if it helps me next month at the HST!

73,
Barry W2UP

P.S.  Feel free to forward this to any of the other interested
reflectors of which I'm not a member.