Re: [CQ-Contest] 2005 Dayton Forum Wrap Up

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 2005 Dayton Forum Wrap Up
From: Bob Naumann <n5nj@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 13:14:53 -0500 (CDT)
K4IK writes:
>> And what happens to the small manufacturer who makes products
used in many different segments of amateur radio when the DX
forum is in one hotel, the antenna and contest forums are in
another hotel, the RTTY and AMSAT forums are in a third and the
VHF/UHF (weak signal) are someplace else?  <<

Well, what you describe is entirely a different hypothetical than what we have
in Dayton.  I was speaking of contesters only, and only at one hotel - the
Dayton Crowne Plaza.  Let's face it, the Crowne Plaza could be considered
"Hamvention PM" from the DX and Contester perspectives.  Nearly everyone who
goes to Dayton from those two broadly intersecting groups ends up at the Crowne
plaza at some time during those 3 evenings.  Going there is as much a part of
going to Dayton as going to Hara.

Getting back to reality, only two forums (antenna and contest) have been held
at the Crowne Plaza thus far.  I would wager that the DX boys are going to
think hard about going to the Crowne Plaza on Friday afternoon for their forum,
which would be followed by the DX dinner in the same venue.  I'm sure they have
heard how nice it was for the contesters on Saturday.

Now, as far as small manufacturers that appeal to a broad audience, they
certainly would want to devote their time and energy to staying at the arena
for the 20k+ general population and not doing anything at the hotel.

What I'm talking about is the ability to directly deliver your message to your
target audience.  If someone is selling a contest  gizmo, they should show it
off at the super suite at the Crowne Plaza on Thursday, Friday and Saturday
night ala WX0B this year.

Even if they were to walk around carrying the gizmo and hand out flyers with
their booth address at Hara, every contester who is in Dayton to spend money
will see it.  Nevermind the cross-over exposure they will get with the DXer
community as potential customers.

To me, this venue would be ideal for the small contest or DX product guy as he
can directly access his target customer base without the clutter of 20,000
shack on the belt types at his booth.

73,
Bob N5NJ