Re: [CQ-Contest] New Contester needs advice

To: "Jacob Tennant" <k8jwt@adelphia.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] New Contester needs advice
From: Jerry Flanders <jeflanders@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 13:54:39 +0000
I wanted an antenna on my camper trailer. I got a 10/15/20/30/40 vertical
(about 24 feet, I think) and a motorized lift so I can let it down for
travel. It seems to get out OK, but I haven't worked a contest with it yet.
It should do MUCH better than the Hamstick mobile antenna I once used while
on the road in a RTTY contest to work over 300 QSOs with 100 watts on 20
meters.

In your situation, I would keep it simple. Beams are not usually simple. If
your rig has an antenna tuner you could probably use one of the G5RV
dipoles if you want to put up two antenna supports.

Even a simple antenna will let you work guys. My Hamstick (a 7 ft long
loaded mobile fiberglas/wire whip) did. It was only 7 feet high, tilted at
45 degrees. Crummy, but worked.

Jerry W4UK