[CQ-Contest] NAQP Off Times

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] NAQP Off Times
From: Chris Hurlbut <c_hurlbut@adelphia.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 19:38:55 -0700
With the new NCJ out, I think I'll share this with the list.

Beware your off times!  If they are not EXACTLY 30 minutes (or more)
long, you will lose the last xx minutes of your log.  Unlike the ARRL,
NCJ just truncates the last part of the log, counting your messed up off
time as on time.

Obviously if one operates for more than the 10 hour limit, like 10 hours
and 1 minute, they are not following the rules.  No argument there.

I do think that the NCJ should limit the penalty on minor errors like
that.  Perhaps a penalty QSO or 2 for each minute on each off time that
is too short.  With say, a 3 or 4 minute buffer.  If you mess it up by
that many minutes, then count it as on time.  So if you take 4 off
times, 3 of them 30 minutes, and 1 of them 29 minutes, you don't end up
losing the last half hour of your log by default.  Perhaps take the
QSO's out in that extra minute, and assign a penalty of xx QSO's for
each minute you are over.  Again, up to 3 or 4 minutes or something.

It's just an idea.  What do you guys and girls think?

You live and learn, but I really do think the current penalty of losing
30 minutes of op time is too harsh for a 60 second (or less) screw up in
the heat of battle.

-Chris KL9A