[CQ-Contest] Operating Methods or Equipment?

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Operating Methods or Equipment?
From: "KE5CTY Bob" <rtnmi@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 13:54:44 -0500
This is really discouraging:

Not crying on anybody's shoulder, just trying to find out what I am
missing here:

I thought I did pretty well for my second contest *ever* and then I see
scores like the one below. As you can see, I was also SO(Single
Operator) but running LP(LowPower) and worked all bands CW(CW Only):

Call: KE5CTY
Operator(s): KE5CTY
Station: KE5CTY

Class: SO CW LP
QTH: USA - NTX
Operating Time (hrs): 15.95

  160:    0     0       0
   80:   29     0       5
   40:   39     0       7
   20:   70     0      14
   15:   39     0      10
   10:   12     0       7
---------------------------
Total:  189     0      43  Total Score = 24,897

How can *one* person amass over a million points. There *must* be more
to this contesting than meets the eye. What operating methods are these
guys using? Are scores dependent more on operating methods or equipment?

Call: UP4L
Operator(s): UN7LZ
Station: UN7LZ

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: KOSTANAY
Operating Time (hrs): 24
  160:    15     53     6
   80:   167    697    30
   40:   381   1688    48
   20:   733   3309    61
   15:   310   1422    39
   10:     8     32     3
---------------------------
Total:  1614   7201   187  Total Score = 1,346,587

Granted I operated a *few* less hours, was Low Power and working on a
fan dipole 10-80 antenna up 25 feet at the apex, but even so, can
working just 10 or so more hours, going high power with beams and a
tower make *that* much difference in scoring??

7&3 fer nw,
Bob
KE5CTY (old calls WB5ZQU - WY5L)
10X# 37210
FP#-1141
http://www.qsl.net/ke5cty/
Code may be taking a back seat for now, but the pioneering spirit that
put the code there in the first place is out front of it all.