Re: [CQ-Contest] Operating Methods and Equipment?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Operating Methods and Equipment?
From: K4RO Kirk Pickering <k4ro@k4ro.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 11:11:20 -0500
Bob (and other new folks),

What the Wardster said; and let me tell you it never ends.
Once I got over the fact that I would almost always be
out-gunned by someone somewhere, I started to enjoy the
game a lot more.  Winning is great. I've done it a time or
two, both from my home and from other's stations. But if
I had to win every time, I suspect I wouldn't be doing as
much contesting, or enjoying it as much either.  And if
you really want to win, you'll have to pick your battles
carefully.  Don't expect to win a major DX contest or even
Sweepstakes without a LOT of work and practice.

If you can't make it (or aren't yet invited) to a serious
multi-op, then the easiest and cheapest way to learn from
the pros is to simply use your receiver.  You'll find top
operators right there doing their thing in most any given
contest.  Find the nearest N6TJ, CT1BOH or the like, and
LISTEN CAREFULLY.  These guys do everything they do for a
REASON.  Sure, you may not be enjoying equatorial propagation
or have a near-broadcast facility station, but you can learn
a great deal by listening to the pros in action. I listened
to locals K4AMC and N4ZZ operate a lot when I was learning the
ropes.  I tried to emulate their timing, speed - everything.

Keep operating contests, and your skills will grow accordingly.
It's all been said before, but join a local contest club and
get some across-town competition going.  Some of my greatest
battles have been going at it against N4ZZ or K0EJ or W9WI, duking
it out from our home stations near Nashville.  I've been where
you're at, and so have most other contesters.  Keep on showing
up in the contests and you will find out what it takes to compete.
Beams and amps definately help a great deal, but they are useless
without a competent operator. On the other hand, there have been
some very competitive scores posted by great ops with nothing more
than carefully constructed wires in the air.

I hope to work your call often in upcoming contests.

73

-Kirk  K4RO