[CQ-Contest] NCCC Thurs CW Sprint -- Standings

To: cq-contest@contesting.com, NCCC <nccc@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] NCCC Thurs CW Sprint -- Standings
From: Haddon/N6ZFO <hounds1234@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 17:55:28 -0700
Here are the standings in the 4-div competition for wine
awards in the NCCC Thursday CW Sprint (NS) after 6 weeks:
(EM = East of Mississippi River etc.)

NS #7 is this Thursday night. Next wk, a 1-week break for
the NCCC NAQP CW Practice, then every Thurs night through
Sept 1; 5 more NS remaining.

-- All Sprints 0230-0300Z on 20, 40, 80, 160 cw
-- Rules at www.nccc.cc/pdf/ns_rules.pdf

After 6 of 11 competitions, based on 3830 reports:

Call    Div     # wks   Tot Score
K4BAI   EM      5       2443
N4OGW   EM      4       1465
K3STX   EM      5       1149
WA1Z    EM      5       1143
K8AJS   EM      5       999
VA3NR   EM      2       687
W9RE    EM      2       645
W4NZ    EM      2       505
K1GU    EM      2       432
N4PN    EM      1       300
KA0GGI  EM      3       189
NB1B    EM      1       180
N5VI    EM      1       84
AJ1M    EM      2       75
W4QO    EM      1       12
-----------------------------
K5PTC   WM      5       1746 (N1LN, op)
N3BB    WM      3       1536
KQ7W    WM      4       1387
WD0T    WM      2       820
K0UK    WM      2       434
K5NZ    WM      1       342
KG5U    WM      2       191   (qrp)
-----------------------------
N6RO    NCCC    6       3456
K6XX    NCCC    6       3163
K7NV    NCCC    5       2006
K6VVA   NCCC    5       1740
N6ZFO   NCCC    4       1112
W6RK    NCCC    5       931
K6DGW   NCCC    3       453
K6III   NCCC    2       438
NO6X    NCCC    1       264
N6WG    NCCC    3       156  (qrp)
KI6IV   NCCC    1       112
W6YX    NCCC    1       96 (K6OWL qrp)
K6UFO   NCCC    1       66
K6OWL   NCCC    2       60
W6ZZZ   NCCC    3       33
K6MR    NCCC    1       16
---------------------------
W6SJ    CA/NV   2       466
---------------------------

Comments:

-- There's competition in the EM Division; while it looks like
K4BAI is way in the lead, note that N4OGW, who has competed in
just 4 NS events, is closing in.  So John, you better
not relax too much.  Really the same story in the WM division.
We will count only the highest 8 of up to 11 scores for awards.
With rapidly increased participation, the real battles may
still lie ahead. And who knows, maybe K4BAI is planning a 3-wk
vacation in Hawaii.

-- 40 stations have submitted scores for at least 1 NS.

-- Partipation is increasing. With 5 competitions remaining,
there's still potential to win by beginning now. That's
particularly true because of we count only the top 8 of
your scores for the awards.  The numbers above may represent
only 1/3 or so of the final total scores.

-- Very pleased to have our first Canadian, VA3NR for that valuable
ON mult. Thanks also to WD0T for SD, and for that matter to W9RE for
IN :-).  Better stop.

-- CA/NV Division.  Come on folks, aren't there some non-NCCC members
in CA/NV beside our loyal participant W6SJ? Who else would like to
compete for a bottle of NCCC wine???? SCCC where are you guys??

-- NCCC Div:  The tight race between N6RO and K6XX has been given a
further push with a side-bet by the famous (infamous?) Locust, K6VVA,
who is offering a suitable libacious award to either or both these
gentlemen for achieving a QSO rate of 136/hour -- notably faster
than Tree's record-setting pace in the NA CW Sprint.

A few of the comments from 3830 score reports:

    - "What a fantastic idea for a contest!!"  K3STX
    - "With nice activity never had to worry about
       the 1 interleaving q."  W9RE
    - "this is all about having summer fun"  K7NV
    - "Thought this test would sneak by Murphy, I was
       wrong. It was fun anyway."  W4NZ
    - "HARDLY WORTH THE EFFORT FOR 30 MINS"  (statistical anomaly)
    - "Great fun, my first nite on the NS!!
       I really enjoyed it"  WD0T
    - "These [NS] sessions are great,
       and I think it is going to pay off."  NO6X
    - "Improved rhythm here.  Used 25 WPM and then
       29 WPM the last 15 minutes"  N3BB
    - "It is a very family friendly contest, with a small baby
       . . . it is not a big deal to have a ton of fun in a
       short time . ."  K3STX
    - "This practice has helped me.  Thanks NCCC
       folks!  N3BB
    - "Sure a lot of fun. One of the best half-hours of
       the week. Finally broke the 30 barrier." W6SJ.
    - "Fun as usual. More multipliers than before." W6RK

So, . . there you have it; please join us this Thursday
and, as best you can, follow our guideline of holding the
speed down to ~20 wpm for first 10 mins.  The payoff will
be, eventually, more participation by newcomers in the
NA Sprints and in other CW contests.

73 Bill N6ZFO

Contest Director for NCCC Thursday CW Sprint (NS)
(with much much help from Ken, N6RO and others,
notably the Locust, K6VVA, perhaps our biggest fan)

Note:  If you are missing from the list or think you have a
different score, please contact n6zfo@arrl.net