Re: [CQ-Contest] FT-857D for contesting???

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] FT-857D for contesting???
From: Paul Young <youngp@hp.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 15:53:27 -0400
I've used an FT-857 with DSP for contesting and DXpedition work,
notably the V31QQ/V31XM operation and as a second radio at VP9I.

For serious contest operation it has some major deficiencies.  The
receiver isn't especially good.  I tried the mechanical filter on phone
and it didn't make a significant difference.  On CW, the narrow
International Radio filter helps but the wider Yaesu filter wasn't
very good.

And the RIT control design is brain-dead.  I'll never get used to it.

But you aren't a serious contester (yet).  You will probably start
by tuning the bands and calling stations, and for that the FT-857D
will be fine.  Eventually, if you get more heavily into it you will
want a bigger radio because one knobs for each function is easier to
deal with than lots of menus.  And you will want some features that
the FT-857D doesn't have, and you will want a better receiver.  It
may be years, if ever, before this happens.

For now, the best place to put your money is in antennas.

                                 Paul, K1XM