Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Decisions

To: KE5CTY Bob <rtnmi@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Decisions
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 22:00:08 -0400
On Aug 20, 2005, at 2:39 AM, KE5CTY Bob wrote:

> can I hear what you more
> experienced operators feel are the *really* important
> decisions and what criteria you use to make your judgment
> calls on them?

Well, I don't know if I count as one of the experienced, but "more"
is relative....

Anyway, I've learned several important lessons from much more
experienced contesters that revolve around judgement.

 From K5ZD, I learned that you really have to listen to the band. Not
just if there are stations, but which stations are you hearing? From
what part of the world / country? Who is answering CQs from your
area? What do they sound like? Do they sound strong, weak, watery,
lots of QSB, etc. From these small cues, you can often tell what
propagation is doing.

Randy also suggested that when you are S & Ping, if you pass a
reasonably clear frequency, try calling a few CQs. If you get
answers, then keep running. If not, then you can resume S & P.

One thing I'm still working on is deciding exactly when to stop
calling CQ and start S & Ping. Clearly you do it when the rate drops
-- but what rate is low enough? That I haven't figured out yet.

 From W4AN, I learned many lessons. Bill always said not to worry
about your score in the past hour of the contest - instead focus on
what you can do *this* hour to improve your score. Don't give up.

Bill always felt that time in "the chair" was crucial to developing
contest skills. Want to learn how to do SO2R? Then spend every day
making contacts with one radio while listening on the other. Enter as
many contests as you can, even if it is only for an hour.

Bill also taught me that there's a lot more skill to contesting than
is readily apparent. Guys on this list may grouse about multiple
kilobuck rigs, stacks of monobanders, remote bases and what not --
but all the equipment in the world does you no good if you don't know
how to use it. Challenge yourself to maximize your score with the
equipment you do have. Trade up antennas and equipment as you can
afford it - but don't obsess over it.

K3ZO taught me the secret to finding a clear frequency isn't how many
times you send QRL? or ask "Is this frequency in use?" -- it's how
much you listen to the frequency. Fred also demonstrated that the
frequency you've been using for a while, even in a crowded band, may
not be sacrosanct. It may be just as easy to find a new frequency
than slug it out where you are. Let your rate meter help you judge.

Does this help? Or were there other topics you had in mind?

             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901