Re: [CQ-Contest] [SECC] CT-17 Problem

To: <ku8e@bellsouth.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] [SECC] CT-17 Problem
From: "Paul Hansen" <pwhansen@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 10:44:33 -0400
To eliminate the radio as the problem, find another Icom radio and connect
the two remote jacks together. That cable should have 1/8" mono (not stereo)
style audio plugs on both ends. Confirm both radios are in C-IV transceive.
Any button pushed on one radio should report to, and move the other radio.
Push the bottons on both radios to confirm both the serial in and serial out
is working.

The CT-17 is nothing more than a MAX232 in a nice box. If the MAX232 is good
you should see nice square waves on pins 13 and 14. Those are TXD and RXD
respectively. If the MAX232 is not running or the signals on pins 13 and 14
look distorted, it's bad. A new one is cheap. If the red LED lights, the
regulator in the box is running. There are two 1uH chokes that can open up
if the CT-17 was the victim of a lightning strike. There is no special
RS-232 cable required. Any serial cable should work.

Paul W. Hansen, W6XA
Amateur Radio Service
Icom Service Center - Southeast
1140 Watkins Road