Re: [CQ-Contest] Real-time score reporting: an experiment

To: Doug Smith W9WI <w9wi@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Real-time score reporting: an experiment
From: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kenharker@kenharker.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 06:18:12 -0700
On Sun, Oct 09, 2005 at 01:51:20PM -0500, Doug Smith W9WI wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-10-09 at 07:55, Andrei Nevis wrote:
> > They (big "winners") will never go for it...
>
> Hard to say.
>
> I don't think the technology infrastructure is ready yet.
>
> Mainly, because broadband Internet access is not available everywhere.
> Even dial-up access is not universally available unless you're willing
> to make a REALLY EXPENSIVE phone call.

This is a good point.  I've operated at several huge stations in W5 that
did not have Internet access.  For example, the W5KFT ranch station - a
five tower HF and VHF/UHF contest station on a 2200 acre cattle ranch where
the driveway alone is like two miles long.  On most of the property, you
cannot get a cell phone signal.  There's no cable TV or DSL drop
out there.  The station just recently got net access through an 802.11
technology ISP.  I've also operated at N5OT's hilltop station out in the
plains near the OK/KS border.  The station building barely had indoor
plumbing (the station interior was still being built out) let alone a
telephone or net access.  But three towers and a lot of hardware meant
big fun.

And then, of course, there are portable and mobile contest stations.
And just imagine trying to do a net-connected DX contest from someplace like
HH2!

Plus, consider that a single-op would have to become not just a radio
contesting expert, but a computer networking expert as well.  If you
have to shut things down for a storm, maybe now that means dealing with a
broadband connection as well as all the RF gear.  And what if that connection
doesn't come back up?  It just becomes one more non-radio thing to interfere
with your radio operation.  And for stations in remote locations, it becomes
one more expense to keeping the station functional for contests.

When something like WiMax becomes truly ubiquitous and cheap, you might
consider this for domestic contests.

In the meantime, I'm all for open contest logs.  I've been posting
mine on my web site for years now.

--
Kenneth E. Harker WM5R
kenharker@kenharker.com