Re: [CQ-Contest] An Innocent Question... (Tesla Cup)

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] An Innocent Question... (Tesla Cup)
From: <ku8e@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 10:45:25 -0400
Yuri,

 This post is not meant to be disrespectful. You have promoted the Tesla Cup
for many years but I have yet to see it happen.

 On the WA7BNM calendar it had :

  Tesla Cup 0000Z-2400Z, Sep 24 (Phone) and
  0000Z-2400Z, Sep 25 (CW)

  Perhaps you chose a bad weekend to hold your contest. On the same weekend
were the CQWW RTTY and Texas QSO Party, which both are very popular contests. I
am on the air just about every weekend playing around in contests between
watching my kids. I don't recall hearing one station operating in the Tesla Cup
or posting a score on 3830.

It is nice that you want to have rules that are fair for everyone but I don't
think one person alone can accomplish this task. The fact is that contesting is
not the first priority of either the ARRL or CQ Magazine, which are the
sponsors of the biggest and major contests. Both CQWW and ARRL DX have long
traditions and it's almost impossible to change the rules.

I would like to see more major contests sponsored by someone who is not a
publishing company. It would be neat to have an independent sponsor - like the
Sprint used to be before the ARRL acquired
NCJ. Maybe a bunch of the major contest clubs could get together to sponsor a
major DX contest that would be fair and biased ??

Right now closest you are going to get to a fair and even contest is the "WRTC"
style events.

73, Jeff KU8E