Re: [CQ-Contest] An Observation

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] An Observation
From: "Barry Merrill" <barry@mxg.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 08:02:57 -0600
With regard to phonetics, use what works.

Never use SPAIN (it's spelled Espagne, and you'll get logged as ECHO).

And for non-native-English speakers, the use of phonetics familiar to them
always outperforms the international alphabet, which was a compromise
(I think November was the most contentious and last agreed to).

Listen to Chip run JAs using their native phonetics.

If other xxGN's promise not to steal my secret weapon, I found
tremendous success with W5 Guat-ee-maal-ah  Neek-ah-ra-guaah
in breaking South American pileups.  None was better this past
CQ WW than working LU1ZD in Antartica, who spoke no English,
and was being "managed" by an LU4, who handed one station at
a time and translated as needed.
My phonetics got a direct reply from LU1ZD.

And because Golf November to Europe often comes back as Fox November,
I've found Germany Norway more effective in that direction.

But above all, when the other station doesn't get it right the first
time, try different phonetics, alternating, rather than repeating a
single set.

Finally, remember that all this free advice is often
worth only its price.

73

Barry, WS5GN