Re: [CQ-Contest] WW SSB

To: Alan Leith <aleith@eastlink.ca>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WW SSB
From: Alan Zack <k7acz@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 13:45:56 -0800
Hope everyone did well in the contest.  There did not seem to be as much
participation this year as in previous years.  No big DXpeditions to rare
Africa or Pacific Islands locations, no rare mults being put out, no one even
went
to HC8, CE0Z, T88, etc.  But I was lucky to snag VK9X on two bands.  Too
bad R1ANF wasn't in zones 29, 39, or 38 instead of the more common zone
13.  Oh well, there's always next year.
73

Alan Leith wrote:

>Two things bothered me about this weekend's CQWWDX SSB contest:
>
>1.  The flagrant use by US stations listening down on 40M, Canadians
>between 7000 and 7050 and Europeans and South Americans using the bottom
>end of 40M on SSB.
>
>2.  The useless spots on packet for Europeans.  Packet was moving so fast,
>most of the time, I couldn't keep up with all the crappy spots.  I, for
>one, didn't need to see a spot for an overpowered European contest station
>that was 40 over.  I won't name the offenders who did the spotting but I
>think they should have known better.
>
>I know that Canada, and perhaps many other countries, don't have sub bands
>but enough is enough.  Granted, the bands are crowded but for goodness
>sake, don't squeeze out those of us who like CW.
>
>I read RX9TX's comment about sub bands in Russia and I have to say, I like
>the idea.  We used to have something like that in Canada before the
>government department responsible abdicated its responsibilities and dumbed
>down the amateur service in this country.
>
>There was a time when I didn't miss a contest but that's changed over
>time.  I spent a lot of time listening this weekend, even made a couple of
>QSOs, and I really didn't like a lot of what I heard, especially on 40M.
>
>Maybe my testosterone levels have diminished.
>
>73
>
>Al, VE1AL

Alan Zack
Amateur Radio Station K7ACZ
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
Quality Engineer, The Boeing Company, Retired
SEMPER PARATUS
http://gocoastguard.com