[CQ-Contest] Food for thought - 40m CQWW SSB

To: "Cq-Contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Food for thought - 40m CQWW SSB
From: "Ragnar Otterstad" <ragnar@otterstad.dk>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 00:12:01 +0100
This is worth forwarding:

I think one point being missed in your posting is whether it is acceptable
to take away all space for CW mode operators for the entire 48 Hours of the
CQWW SSB contest, the same applies with WPX of course.

Many people only manage to spend any real time on the bands at the weekends,
those who are not contest orientated may not even know CQWW SSB is going to
bombard the lower section of 7 MHz.   It may sound impossible in these days
of Internet mediated Contesting and DXing but there are still many ops who
don't bother with Contest or DX reflectors etc.

I really do feel deeply that it is not in the spirit of our hobby to deny
access for operators to enjoy CW like this.

The arguement about the extra bandwidth being released for Amateur operation
between 7100 - 7200 kHz is a bit spurious due to the number of broadcast
stations on that allocation.

I don't want to be a kill-joy, but strongly feel that a requirement for no
operation below shall we say 7015 kHz should be permitted in SSB contests to
allow those who wish to enjoy their chosen aspect of the hobby.

I am not a data/RTTY operator at present and so I'll leave it to those who
lose their chance to operate those modes during the contests to make their
pitch on this.

Please help keep some element of civilised behaviour to be retained in
Amateur Radio, not just the antisocial and childlike attitude of   "I want,
so you can go and get .........."

161 Tony G3ZRJ 1774