Re: [CQ-Contest] WW SSB on my mind

To: <Jimk8mr@aol.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WW SSB on my mind
From: "Russell Hill" <rustyhill@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 09:28:46 -0600
Greetings, All;

Personally, if I am going to venture offshore in a boat costing, presumably,
many thousands of dollars, with a sizeable commitment of time, energy and
skill, I am going to have a radio which is engineered and built to:

1.  Be easy to operate by a relatively unsophisticated operator in an
emergency.
2.  Survive a humid and often salty environment with a high degree of
reliability.
3.  Operate on predetermined frequencies which are free of QRM, with a large
selection of frequencies from which to choose.
4.  Operate on frequencies which are monitored 24 hours a day by
professionals with redundant equipment, engineered and built to a commercial
or even military standard.

I think I am describing a Marine  SSB Radio, licensed, and installed by a
professional, to a commercial standard.  Or perhaps I am describing
Satellite Communications, if the boat owner preferred.

All of the above costs money, of course, and only applies if I think my life
is worth the expenditure. But to depend on (a)a single frequency, which may
or may not be open, and (b)if open could be subject to QRM, and (c)on
hobbyists being available to handle my life emergency traffic, sounds to me
like the height of folly.

I would also have an HF ham rig, and perhaps a VHF rig, along, so I could
chit chat, keep up with the news from home, etc.

That said, any time there is an emergency in real time, our practice of
setting up nets, vacating frequencies for emergency traffic, holding
frequencies open for the Emergency Net, and so forth, seems to be a bedrock
of our Public Service culture and reason for being.  I applaud Jim, K8MR,
for his action during an actual emergency.

If there is a rationale for keeping 14.300 open just in case someone,
somewhere, might need to send emergency traffic, perhaps there is an equal
rationale for keeping something open on 75, 40, etc, at all hours.  But that
starts to sound like the Maritime SSB Service, I think.

All the above is only my personal opinion, of course.

73,
Rusty, na5tr