Re: [CQ-Contest] two radios in the 80s

To: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] two radios in the 80s
From: PaulKB8N@aol.com
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 11:00:32 EST

In a message dated 11/12/2005 7:44:02 A.M. Central Standard Time,
Cqtestk4xs@aol.com writes:

was  using a crude two radio setup in 84 and 85.  I wasn't making many top
tens back then but it did help the score.

Bill,

I had a pretty elaborate setup for SO2R in the late 80s and early  90s.  I
had an Omni A and a Corsair.  They both shared the same VFO  design, and there
was sufficient output out of either VFO to operate both radios  at one time.  I
had a switching arrangement where I could control the  radios independently
with their internal VFO, or could simultaneously tune two  different bands off
of the same VFO from either radio.

I did "dual S&P" on separate bands very effectively when I was in  Europe.
The only trick was having to manually keep track of my band  changes, as
neither radio was computer controlled.  It did make a huge  difference in my
score,
especially when I ran QRP, as it effectively doubled the  size of the playing
field for S&P QSOs.

I had also automated my antenna switching and matching so my antennas were
1:1 on every band instantly.  (I used dipoles fed with ladder line.)   I had an
early edge in the Sprints after returning to the states, but that edge  has
eroded due to my limited participation in recent years.

Paul, K5AF