Re: [CQ-Contest] Fw: SO2R -- revised opinion?

To: "CQ Contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Fw: SO2R -- revised opinion?
From: "David Thompson" <thompson@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 14:08:11 -0500
I heard K0RF during the CQ WW SSB in 1979 while I was running single band
40.  I listened to him at length then worked him to ask what was up.  I had
my Triton IV driving a Henry 3K to N4RJ's 2 el beam at 110 feet.  I used my
Drake R4A to receive below. S01.5R?  Worked so well I set up the Drake line
to a SB220 and the Triton IV to a small amp the next year.
was doing well in almost S02R when the SB220 blew the power transformer.

I also remember the 6 land station with the Hallicrafters SR-400A in the
ARRL SS.  You had dual RX and his comments to me was the transmitter
had only a short range before tune up again was needed.  Again almost S02R.
Hey one version of the FTDX 9000 improves on the SR-400A with real dual TX
and RX.  Plus you have much better control on antennas and muting.

As K4XS says S02R requires only a couple of hours getting used to.  The big
secret is how to engineer the antennas, switching, and cutting out cross
interference.

73 Dave K4JRB