Re: [CQ-Contest] CW filter ideas for the MP Field

To: <KI9A@aol.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CW filter ideas for the MP Field
From: "Tom McAlee" <tom@klient.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 14:08:25 -0500
Hi Chuck.  It is best to put them in both IF stages.

I'd recommend a 400Hz filter over the 250Hz.  The 250Hz seems only really
useful in exceptional cases.  For example, when that loud USA guy is right
next to the new multiplier and a pileup starts on him, yet the loud nearby
USA station(s) won't move.  It is nice for those cases, but it is a bit too
narrow for normal running.

The 500Hz filter is "ok" for running, but for heavy band conditions the
400Hz filter is better, and it isn't too obnoxiously narrow like the 250Hz
filter is.  I've found the 250Hz filter to be just too narrow to run with,
and if conditions are *that* bad that its probably time to find a new run
frequency or use some other tactics to clear the one you have.

So, I'd say go with two 400Hz filters, one in each IF stage.  For the cases
where you really need to work that multiplier who is right next to a booming
station, the IF shift knob can help in place of a 250Hz filter.

73,
Tom, NI1N