Re: [CQ-Contest] zero pointers etc

To: nq4i@contesting.com, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] zero pointers etc
From: PaulKB8N@aol.com
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 10:32:19 EST
I think there should be something done for stateside stations.   When I
operated CQWW from Germany in 1991 and 1992, I was amazed at what a  completely
different contest it was.  You could work an almost endless  number of mults,
particularly on the low bands.

I had a non-antenna on 160M that would not get me out of the state of Texas
if I was using it here, yet in Europe, I had almost 30 mults on that band.
Countries like LX, HB, ON, PA. and a multitude of eastern bloc countries were
readily workable at 2 points each. When on the high bands, I could  keep a
second radio on 40 or 80M all day long and grab the rare mults as they  popped
up.

The difference between Europe and USA for CQWW is like night and  day.  I was
never bored in Europe, and did not have to rely on openings to  other parts
of the world to keep my rate up.  Can we do something similar  here?  If you
superimpose the map of the United States on top of the map of  Europe, there
are
probably 50 countries within that footprint.  Should that  tell us something?

Paul, K5AF