Re: [CQ-Contest] [cq-contest] Re: What To Expect for 10-Meters???

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] [cq-contest] Re: What To Expect for 10-Meters???
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@ispwest.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 08:40:29 -0800
At 09:57 PM 12/6/2005, Ward Silver wrote:

>At the bottom of the solar cycle,
>like this, you'll get to experience some really unusual propagation that in
>high-sunspot years isn't emphasized.

Ward is right about unusual propagation, especially noticeable on CW.
Listen around dawn, before the band is really open and you'll hear
some scatter signals, probably a combination of meteor and various
ionospheric modes. I'm no expert on propagation so I can't really
identify their exact nature but I found them quite fascinating to
hear. Signals will be weak and watery with some occasionally popping
up out of the noise quite strong and fading back quickly.

This is best done with a beam, but even with a dipole and some
persistence you may be able to make a few QSOs and when the band
actually opens you'll be there and ready. Have fun!

73, Bill W6WRT