Re: [CQ-Contest] Conditions for 10m

To: cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Conditions for 10m
From: Doug Smith W9WI <w9wi@earthlink.net>
Date: 14 Dec 2005 09:50:35 -0600
On Wed, 2005-12-14 at 07:17, Per Eklund wrote:
> Was Aurora Es here in Northern Sweden.
> Probably around most of the north pole, more or less.
> Worked both OY:s 1377km and TF:s 1806km here on the first hop.
> They were very strong.
>
> Southern states came trough in the beginning of the opening on sunday.
> Maybe TX had a ~3000km F-hop to the northeast to begin with, bouncing north
> of Canada.

I had an observation similar to W5OVs.

I worked three Scandanavian stations.  (Per, at 1903UTC; OH6NIO at
1919UTC; and OH5UFO at 1744UTC)  The contacts I worked either side of
these:

- W6, x8
- W7, x6
- VE7, x2
- South America, x3
- various W's within 900km on backscatter, x8
- VE3, x4 - I forget whether these were backscatter or Es.  Three of
them were worked in a row just before working OH5UFO & I suspect they
were Es.  All four were in the Greater Toronto Area, too close for F.
- EA8CN

(unfortunately, CQing for several minutes with the beams north didn't
yield any further OH/SM QSOs.  I was beaming west - on W6 - during all
three of these QSOs.)

I might venture a guess there was a F-hop into northern Ontario and/or
Quebec with the AuE going from there.  The northern tip of Quebec is
almost exactly 3,000km from here.  (I suppose it would be closer to
4,000km from Dallas, Texas)
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN  EM66