Re: [CQ-Contest] conditions for 10m]

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] conditions for 10m]
From: Steve London <n2ic@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 13:51:01 -0500
jukka.klemola@nokia.com wrote:
> Good guess !
> Has this been verified somehow?
>
> 73,
> Jukka OH6LI

This has only been verified empirically from 24 years of observing this
opening from Colorado, and now New Mexico.

Here's some recent empirical evidence:

- On Sunday afternoon, in the 10 meter contest, we had an excellent
1-hop F-layer opening between here and the entire USA east coast. There
isn't much ham population in northern VE2, but I did work many southern
VE2 stations. The planetary Kp index during that time was 5 - certainly
high enough for auroral Es.

- This opening did not occur during either CQWW Phone or CQWW CW, on
either 10 or 15 meters. The planetary Kp index was low during both of
these contests (Kp <= 2), suppressing auroral activity.

My summary of the conditions required for this opening are:

- A high enough electron density to support F-layer propagation from the
USA to the arctic region.
- A slightly or moderately disturbed geomagnetic field producing auroral
Es in the arctic region.

73,
Steve, N2IC/5