Re: [CQ-Contest] Log checking questions..Did they cheat?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Log checking questions..Did they cheat?
From: Dave Pascoe <davekm3t@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 23:13:36 -0500
On 12/15/05, Robert Pack (NX5M) <nx5m@txcyber.com> wrote:
> I think it might be time to just do away with the packet assisted category
> and let everyone do whatever they want.

I disagree.  Violently, even.

> You either have it or you dont and
> if you dont have it you need to find a way to get it if you want to keep up
> with the other guys.

True, but within the rules of the game.  Most of the rules are fine as
they stand.  Allowing packet for everyone won't help the guys who
aren't winning - it will just make them poorer and poorer contest
operators.

> In some contests using packet makes you a multi.  Others, it is just
> assisted.  But with all the tools available today it is just too easy to
> take a peek even when not supposed to.

Too easy to take a peek?  That's almost like saying insider trading is
OK.  Or cheating on an exam.  Because it's just so easy to take a
peek. You're not supposed to take a peek.  So don't.  I don't think
it's that hard to understand. Just shut it off and disconnect your
contest computer from the Internet and be done with it.

Besides, playing the contest game without packet is way more fun than
many newcomers realize.  For some, packet and point-and-click are all
they've ever known or have been taught.   For you budding contesters
out there - there's life after packet.  Tune the dial and you'll be
amazed and gratified by what you can find on your own.  And you'll
avoid most of the packet pileups - arguably one of the most rude forms
of interference and nonsense that we have during contests.

> Anyone doing contesting seriously is likely to have the capability to get
> packet spots.

Very true.  And those serious competitors have just as much capability
to not turn it on in the first place.

73,
Dave KM3T