Re: [CQ-Contest] Log checking questions

To: "Mark Beckwith" <n5ot@n5ot.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Log checking questions
From: "N7MAL" <N7MAL@CITLINK.NET>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 05:24:40 -0000
Mark right now every contest you enter you are entering against guys using
'crutches', many many guys. Over the years the contest sponsors have had a
great many opportunities to 'bust' the cheaters but they won't/don't. N6TJ and
I and others have brought this up several times over the past few years and
nothing, absolutely nothing, gets done about it. I have cited obvious cheaters
from my own logs, during SS, and nothing has changed. As long as the contest
sponsors first priority is revenue, from their magazines, cheating will
continue. You will get no help from the contest sponsors. Oh they say they
aggressively pursue cheating but talk is cheap, actions speak louder than words.
Several months ago, when this subject came up, I suggested a one(1) contest
weekend moratorium on the packet so the scores could be analyzed to determine
the impact on packet cheating. You would have thought I had shot someone's dog.
I was attacked viciously both publicly and privately. The packet cheaters
couldn't go one(1) contest without packet and apparently neither can one packet
sysop, K1TTT who publicly attacked me.

Anyone who knows me knows how strongly I feel against using packet during
contests. I wish there were an alternative but after fighting it for so many
years there seems to be no solution other than to make it a 'free-for-all'. I
will take comfort in knowing every contact in my log I found on my own without
any outside help.

I guess some of us are part of a dying breed, we actually know what a contest
means and how to operate in a contest without cheating.

MAL               N7MAL
BULLHEAD CITY, AZ
http://www.ctaz.com/~suzyq/N7mal.htm
http://geocities.com/n7mal/
Don't worry about the world coming to an end today.
It's already tomorrow in Australia