[CQ-Contest] QRP - Get Over It

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] QRP - Get Over It
From: TOMK5RC@aol.com
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 16:21:28 EST
Let's start the year out with some real controversy, stimulated by the
thread that is just now dying down about QRP. Let me start out with a
disclaimer.
I know some really fine ops who engage in QRP and I know some fine  ops who
engage in QROOOO. To each his own, I am not trying to offend anyone (but  I'm
sure I will).

In reading some of the posts about QRP lately and in responding to the
deluge of QSL cards after the first half of the Contest Season, I've had a
epiphany about the "QRP Thing." There are a significant number of QRPers who
remind
me of the behavior of some handicapped people I have encountered. Because  of
their affliction, they demand special treatment. To wit:

1.  The majority of QSL cards I receive from stateside stations  WITHOUT
SASE's are from QRP'ers. Does operating QRP mean you are poor and can't  afford
return stamp?
2. In plileups, QRPers are often those calling out of turn and nonstop. I
thought the thrill of QRP was using operating skill to overcome signal
strength.
 Why do you demand special treatment because you are running low power?
3. Signing /QRP is not legal! It is not an approved portable designator. I
will not put /QRP in my log or on a QSL card.

I've spent years doing mobile and weak-signal VHF work. It is a hoot when
you can get through with meager power and/or inadequate antennas. I never
expect
 (or demand) special treatment in those circumstances, I just revel in  it
when it happens.

QRP'ers, behave! If you are not having fun, go QRO or get over it. As with
the QROOO group, what's the point of winning when you are not following the
intent of the rules?

Tom Taormina, K5RC
Contesting from the Comstock
W7RN -  K7RC