[CQ-Contest] QRP and time on band

To: "Cq-Contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] QRP and time on band
From: "Martin Luther" <luther7@bigpond.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 11:47:41 +1100
The very best QRP operators are the ones that are only exposed as QRP
when the QSL arrives with "Pse QSL using 1watt here!". During the
contest they were "just" another contact.

I have noted over the decades that my contest score is correlated with
the BIC factor (Bum In Chair)! The more time I spend in the operating
chair the higher the score. To measure off times put a micro switch on
the chair! The logic would be that if you are sat in front of the radio
why aren't you operating to improve your score. If you are aiming to
rest get well away from the radio. Hence BIC is a good measure of
operating time. (For those who stand up from time to time to ease the
muscles put a five minute delay in the micro switch circuit - or
whatever!)

Personally I have never found any need to automate this - just make a
note on a pad when I get up to go for a walk. Then again when I get
back. I know writing is becoming a "lost art" but it really is worth
keeping up the skill!

Martin VK7GN