[CQ-Contest] SO2R and broadband noise

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] SO2R and broadband noise
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 14:13:50 -0500
I have been doing some tests with my new single-tower SO2R setup, transmitting
on a TS-930S and listening on a Mark 5.
Results so far are very gratifying.  I have noticed, though, that regardless of
band, when I have the TS-930 in transmit, but not key-down, I can hear a slight
increase in the noise floor on the Mark 5.  The amount of increase is
subjectively the same, whatever band I'm listening on, and does *not* change
between key up and key down.

I'd characterize this as a nuisance, and probably not an operational problem
under extreme weak-signal conditions, but I'm curious what could be causing it.
 Any thoughts?

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database
Full details on 3085 contest stations